5.08.2010

Social Issues Forum Poster and Process

Process: Social Issues Forum: Censorship Poster
Social Issues Forum: Censorship Poster
Objectives:
Use pictorial element "goat".
Use "Censorship".
Design "Social Issues Forum" poster *(Using the two elements and supportive text.)
For this problem, I chose "goat" and "censorship", at random, for use in abstracting a pictorial element for a design concept. The objectives were to use "goat" somehow as the pictorial element, paired with the supportive text, "Social Issues Forum" and "Censorship". I began my process with research and images for concepts, gathered imagery of my own invention, and then experimented with the imagery for my iteration process. Here I use some appropriation by using self-portrait to represent an art historical image, and by evoking a sense of intersecting styles from historical periods in Design.

 To really bring the poster to life, I experiemented with typography and the use of expressive type. I referenced the typeface "Helvetica" using a brush and ink on vellum. The resulting type as image had a very "goat-y" look and feeling to it, which supported the provocative nature of the image and served to largely develop the final design.

No comments: